Saturday, March 17, 2012
Technology Training
Technology Training
Currently at Luella Elementary technology has become a big push! This is my third year as media specialist and in previous years there has basically been no outside training and no money allocated for technology. I have conducted trainings on technology according to what my teachers stated they wanted on the survey I send out at the beginning of every year. I hold four media and technology meetings each year. We begin the meeting with the basics and then end with a training. In the past I have done document cameras, UnitedStreaming, Flip cameras, digital cameras, ect. The teachers' skills with technology are pretty basic. Most of my teachers are very capable of learning new skills, if the technology is available and the trainings occur.
This year we have a new administrator and she has funded technology, as well as supported technology trainings. The county ITSs have come out many times this year and conducted trainings. The 28th of this month we are having a training on Activ Slates. The teachers have actually been complaining about having to attend so many trainings. The ITSs have the ability to create their own schedules in Henry County Schools. This works really well because they can come any time of day they are requested. They prefer to come and actually teach classes using technology and have the teachers observe. Then, they will come back and assist teachers when they are teaching using the technology. This method has really worked well this year. The teachers are using the technology a lot more and when they use it is not the lesson, but rather a tool like it should be.
With the help of the ITSs this year the teachers are using a lot more technology effectively. The draw backs are that now they are requesting the technology and I don't have enough to go around. I spent 10,000 this year on technology and it was only a drop in the bucket. Every time I think I am starting to get what we need something breaks and lamps go out. For the cost of a projector's lamp I could just about buy a new projector.
With all the hardware woes I try to focus on software as well. This year a big hit has been the blog feature on our new upgraded web software. In the past Henry County has blocked all blogs and wikis, but the web software comes with its on blog feature that only employees have access to. This is deemed safer to use. We have been using it with students to promote writing skills. Our 4th and 5th grade teachers are using it to write responses to literature. Using innovative software is lot less expensive than hardware. There are still problems with our computers running the software. Our school is in the middle of a phase in upgrade. The county is slowly replacing old computers. My student computers in the media center only have 256mb of memory. You can imagine how slow they are.
Overall, the majority of purchasing and training of technology falls on the media specialist in Henry County. We have 4 ITSs that service the entire county. They are a lot of help, but spread thin. The media specialist is also spread thin because we only have part time parapros and no technology specialist in the building. Most media specialist enter work orders, maintain the school webpage, AR, purchase and train on technology, and all the other duties and responsibilities that are traditionally ours. Creativity is the key. I find creative solutions like combining media and technology meetings with trainings, creating detailed directions for those tech savvy teachers, and emailing a lot of information out to teachers is helpful. This class has given me some new creative solutions for trainings like podcast and vodcast. They are really easy to create and share with teachers. I have made a few this year and burned them to a DVD. When teachers come and ask the same thing over and over again I just hand them the DVD. They actually are enjoying them and a couple of teachers have requested specific things. Jing is another great source that I use as a creative solution. I am also hoping that my webpage is going to be a big hit too. The CCGPS page I just created has been a big hit with teachers, so I am hoping they will explore other pages as well. My big idea for technology training is use technology to help train on technology. You also have to remember that it is a journey. Every little bit helps, but nothing will happen over night. Keep modeling technology in the media center, holding trainings, and finding creative solutions and most teachers will come on board.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your comment at the end of the blog post rings true with me... "You also have to remember that it is a journey. Every little bit helps, but nothing will happen overnight." Patience is so hard! It sounds like your school system is technology-minded in that they have instructional technology help, although I know they are spread thin. It sounds like you are on the right track by combining media meetings with tech training, and using technology to help train on technology. Your creative solutions got me thinking of lots of ideas. Having seen your web site with the new additions, I know your school is lucky to have such a thoughtful media specialist to come up with such helpful information for teachers.
ReplyDeleteI like the way that your school district want their teachers to use technology and provides training and support. You stated your new administrator is positive towards technology, I think that it certainly makes a different when administration believes technology is a valuable teaching tool for the classroom. I am really impressed to see that your teachers have IT support when needed. In the school district where I work, a work order request is made and assistance is provided in the order in which it was received. I am glad to see that Henry County has invested so much into technology for their teachers. I remember when I received my document camera and LCD machine about four years ago; I had to learn how to operate this equipment without any formal training. It was scary learning about the equipment while teaching with over thirty students watching my every move.
ReplyDeleteIn your post you said of the ITS's "They prefer to come and actually teach classes using technology and have the teachers observe." I LOVE this idea and wish that our tech specialists would do this for us. I would learn so much more from seeing the technology in action in my classroom then from sitting at a teacher training. I'm going to bring this up at our next technology committee meeting.
ReplyDeleteYou are so smart to create podcasts and vodcasts of technology trainings that teachers can check out on an as-needed basis instead of attending a session or you teaching it over and over again. I really like that you are using technology to streamline your own process.
You mentioned Jing and I'm not familiar with that. What is it and how do you use it?
The best advice I have ever received is that “Life is a journey, not something that happens overnight”. I think that statement also applies to life as a media specialist. Everything that I read concerning our job seems to imply that we are to change what’s going on n the media center almost immediately and overnight. Just like educators that almost impossible considering the other cohorts and factors that affect our position. I’m thankful that we can make progress, however very rarely will it be done overnight. With a supportive administrator and staff we can make progress. I also think it is great that you are able to make the most of your meetings. I will keep in mind to combine media and technology meetings with technology trainings. I do suggest that instead of burning DVD’s for frequently asked questions, to use a podcast or YouTube video instead. That makes the information accessible from anywhere.
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of the instructors teaching lessons with the students while the teachers observe. The students are learning and so are the teachers. To me, this is a wonderful use of time. Teachers are actually learning how to use the technology in the classroom with the students. Plus, teachers are able to preview the technology. When instructors return to answer questions and provide additional assistance, teachers will have a better understanding of what they still need help with. The media specialist at our school is not in charge of technology training. I do not know who is because we have not received technology training unless it was required by the county. I am definitely learning that there are so many areas that vary dramatically from school to school and county to county. I just assumed that most media centers were run in a similar manner with the media specialist assuming similar roles.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading your blog post I realize just how fortunate I am to teach in a school district that embraces and funds new technology every year. For the last 8 years every classroom in every school has had an Activeboard and every year we are provided with the newest technology and software programs to use with our Activboards. We are all the time receiving new products, and just like at your school it can be frustrating because we aren't receiving training on all the technology that we have. To me, that can be just as unuseful as not having the technology to begin with. Each school in the district is staffed with a full time ITS and Media Specialist and we have monthly technology trainings during our common planning time. Often times though, this is still not enough time to learn, practice, and become proficient with the newest technologies our schools have to offer. Like you stated, teachers start to complain about all the meeting times, but they also complain about not knowing how to do "stuff" on the computer. I guess it's hard to just keep everyone happy. :) I was surprised to find that you are soley in charge of training your staff on technology (along with one of four county ITS). That's a lot for you to keep up with!
ReplyDeleteI love that you brought up projector bulbs! Each classroom (25 in all) in the 9th grade building as LED projectors, but our ETSS is only allowed to keep one extra bulb in stock. A year or so ago, my projector started flashing saying that it was getting ready to go, so I let her know. She told me she had a bulb ready and to let her know when it died. My bulb lasted a few more weeks, and when it finally went out, I emailed her. While we were waiting on mine to go, another teacher's bulb actually exploded. The one extra bulb in our building went to her, and I had to wait for our ETSS to send in the blown bulb, get approval for a new one, order the new one, and install it. It was by no means her fault, but it was frustrated. I know they are expensive, but good grief!
ReplyDeleteYour idea of emailing things out to your tech-savvy teachers is a great idea! I know I hate sitting through meetings on technology when someone sitting by me can't even do the basics. Our ETSS used to require things; now most (grade book set up, etc) are optional. You can drop in when and if you need to on the days she holds them. It works out perfectly!